Note: This entry will have spoilers about my book Old Man’s War – which, inasmuch as the book has been published for nearly ten years now probably shouldn’t been seen as spoilers anymore but never mind that now — so if you haven’t read Old Man’s War and don’t want a relatively important aspect of it spoiled for you, here’s the takeaway: Yes, there are transfolk in the OMW universe; no, it’s not a problem for the CDF/Colonial Union that they are trans. There, now you can go ahead and skip the rest of this entry.
Now, then, for everyone else:
I have been asked several times (and just yesterday, in fact, via e-mail), what happens to transfolk who become part of the Colonial Defense Force in the Old Man’s War books. To recap, the CDF gets its soldiers by recruiting 75-year-olds from Earth and giving them new, super-awesome bodies that are based on — but not created solely out of — their own DNA. Because the creation of the bodies is only partly based on the recruit’s original genetic information, would it be possible to for transfolk to specify which gender they would like their new body to be?
This is a really interesting question. Let me try to answer it.
Let me note that with respect to Old Man’s War the book, I did not at all think about what would happen with transfolk who join the CDF as I was writing it. Why? Short answer: Straight white male who didn’t know any transfolk at the time, so it was not something in my consciousness. So everything from here on out is me adding commentary to the original text — but since it’s from me, the author, we can consider it canonical.
(Also, note: I am not 100% up on trans-related terms, so if I use terms incorrectly, it’s ignorance and not malice; please let me know in the comments and I’ll edit.)
1. First off, and to be clear, there would be no bar to transfolk joining the CDF, because why would there be? The entrance requirements are a) you’ve signed up, b) you come from what are in the book rich, developed countries (which mostly align with the current slate of rich, developed countries). So yes, there would be transfolk among the recruits.
2. By default, CDF bodies come in classically male and classically female forms. Note that thanks to genetic engineering, etc, the performance capabilities of both male and female forms are equal, so the gender presentation is strictly for the psychological comfort of the recruit, i.e., you’re (usually) used to being male or female, so you get to stay that way when you transfer into your new body.
3. Because the body sorting is a matter of psychological comfort, to the extent that the CDF knows about a transperson’s gender presentation, it’ll sort them that way. So, for example, a post-op transperson will be sorted into their post-op gender presentation, regardless of DNA profile, because that’s the clear preference for that person.
4. What about pre-op, genderfluid, intersex or transfolk who have not made their preferred gender public knowledge? The CDF initially sorts into male/female by best appoximation and then after transfer follows up for additional modification. The CDF is an organization that can grow back limbs and organs with minimal effort (for them; it’s slightly more traumatic to the person growing them back), so modifying bodies for the psychological comfort of the person inside is a relatively trivial matter. Most of this can be handled before the recruits get to basic training, although particular in the case of transfolk who are not public, much would be contingent on them telling the CDF doctors and technicians.
5. And no, the CDF wouldn’t care about the gender presentation of the recruits. What it would care about is them being willing to fight. You’ll fight? Great, here’s your Empee. Go kill an alien. Thanks.
6. Would there be some other recruits who would have a problem with transfolk? It’s possible; the CDF lets anyone in. The basic training drill sergeants will be happy to tell them to get over it. If they did not (indeed if they did not get over any general bigotry) the results for them would be grim.
7. Could a CDF soldier decide to change their gender presentation during the term of service? Sure, why not? All CDF bodies have the same baseline capabilities and identity can be verfied via BrainPal, so there would be no penalty or confusion on either score. Are you following orders? Killing aliens? Great — change your presentation however you like.
8. Likewise, when a CDF soldier leaves service, they can specify the gender presentation of the body they’ll be transfered into. Because, again, why wouldn’t they?
Short form: The CDF is happy to let transfolk be who they are because it makes them comfortable with themselves — and that makes them better soldiers, which is ultimately what the CDF cares about.
With regard to the Old Man’s War series, I have not intentionally written about transfolk in it (some of my characters may have been trans but did not tell me about it), but there’s no reason why I could not. So maybe I will at some point, if there’s a way to do so that doesn’t look like me transparently trying to gather cookies to myself. But regardless of whether I’ve written transfolk into my books, there are, canonically speaking, transfolk in the OMW universe. Because why wouldn’t there be.